Many of your product lifecycle resources are locked away in vendor proprietary databases. This often prevents them from being reused and often results in wasted duplication and as a results longer times to market. I think IBM and Rational have come up with an interesting way to make these resources be available in an open and scalable way using OSLC, Tracked Resource Set (TRS) Provider using a Linked Data approach and standards. To accomplish this resources must be exposed using Web Application/Sever. So traditional client only or file based tools require a Web Server be build or these files be hosted on a one that supports being a Tracked Resource provider like Rational Asset Manager that can do that for Word, PDF, Excel and other file based artifacts. Or you can build your own using this TRS Software Development Kit (SDK) Many of the IBM Rational Tools already provide support for Tracked Resources. I recently published which ones here. The same rules apply though so for DOORS you must utilize DOORS Web Access to expose your as searchable tracked resources. For Rhapsody you must utilize Rhapsody Design Manager to expose your Design Elements as searchable tracked resources.
Here are the high level steps to expose these different servers as TRS providers.
- If the Rational Team Concert, Rational Quality Manager, etc. project area is on a separate RTC application on a separate JTS server you must create a JTS OAuth Friends relationship between the two JTS servers, using Oauth keys.
- Create a project area association between RTC and RELM
- Create a LQE Data Source for RELM server for the new RTC instance.
- Create user ids and roles that can access the data on both JTS instances.
- Ensure there is a lqe_user license on the new RTC instance to work with the LQE indexer.
- Create the the Data Source for the TRS provider in Rational Engineering Lifecycle Manager (RELM) Query Engine.
- Use RELM to search, reuse and do impact analysis on your product lifecycle resources.
Here are some recent bumps I hit setting it up. I hope this can help others in case they hit the same issues which are being addressed. There were two problems and two work arounds.
1. Error WARN com.telelogic.festival.generalservices.util.UriUtils – [Message:Unable to convert to legacy format because the doors resource url <doors://>” DWA installation was failing because InfoCenter command example didn’t work in dbadmin example below. The reason that the dbadmin fails silently when a copy and paste of the command was done was because some of the characters when copied and pasted do not end up as the right ASCII characters that the command expects for switches. For example, the double quote (“) character surrounding the dcnChannelName value ends up to be the wrong ASCII character when pasted and has to be replaced with a (“) character to make it work. It does not return an error message when the wrong character is encountered. . Work around was to enter or type quotes in and one dbadmin command at a time.
2. DOORS TRS Authentication using JTS OAuth was failing because DOORS TRS was returning mixed case in server token names back to LQE. Work around was to create all data sources in RELM LQE for token and authorization URLS using lower case.